Scallion and Mint pesto is a delicious Italian favorite sauce. This is my healthy version of this Italian delight with basil, olive oil, almonds and garlic.
Makes 1 cup
- 1⁄2 c. toasted almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- A dozen scallions, white and light green
- parts only, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 c. fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1⁄3 c. fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 c. water
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 11⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
Purée everything in a blender or food pro- cessor until smooth.
Serve with cooked brown rice pasta or zucchini noodles (good for 1.5 lbs.) and with shrimp, chicken, turkey, beef, or pork.
You can also toss with 1 lb. of roasted or steamed beets for a healthy salad.
This is an excerpt from The Right Fit Formula